I see the whale, and the waves keep coming. DAMN THIS PEG-LEG!

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

trying not to bend over too much

in an effort to keep paying our mortgage and to prevent our wallets from being raped by the cable company, my wife and i no longer have cable television. Good riddance...except for you seinfeld, csi, west wing, history channel, family guy, and the final days of le tour de france.
i don't mind not having cable because we have enough movies and books to last us quite a while...plus, we have the added saving of around 30 dollars a month. i am also trying to sell one of our tv's (in exchange for some music software...maybe reason 3.0 or something else that will tide me over.)
i wonder if i could get rid of cable internet. i don't think i could because anti-dialup is a pillar of my platform...oh yeah, and my wife needs it to look for jobs and stuff. i am also not a strong advocate for single income homes. but whatever it will happen someday (around the same time i re-enter the "student lifestyle."
has anyone read Bruce Campbell's new book "Make Love the Bruce Campbell way"? i want to read it, but it isn't worth 25 dollars to me. you know what is though...food.

i wonder what life would be like with two incomes...according to my wife, it would only mean more saving.
thankfully my employer provides me with a vehicle and fuel...and healthcare, and a good salary, and...why am i going back to school?
oh yeah...so i can be happy.
is it possible to be happy poor? i don't know. i hope so. i wanna grow up to be a poor doctor (prof. of music comp) unless film friends let me parasite my way to a good living (preferable to me.)

2 comments:

Herr Vogler said...

I feel your pain on the income thing. The lack of equipment, too. I often think of what it would be like to get rid of cable. And have more money... My wife and I have a ton of movies on DVD, too. Why can't we watch those? It's not like HBO has anything worth watching. I would definitely miss the Food Network, though.

I believe, there is such a thing as poor and happy, though. I'm poor (because I'm a composer, too) but I'm happy because occasionally I still get to write for live players! That and my wondeful wife keeps me grounded. Follow the path that makes you happy.

Anonymous said...

I was perfectly happy with my antenna (on a good Sunday I even got Fox), but thanks to a free cable in our new place, hello (and goodbye) home shopping networks. I really only watch the channels I got before, but they come in better.