I see the whale, and the waves keep coming. DAMN THIS PEG-LEG!

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

not having cable is not boring never

i tried for four, but i can't compete with "Oklahoma" (the musical) where Ado Annie says, "...and there ain't never gonna be no one like him neither." I remember being in Oklahoma like it was only 6 years ago. this is where Mike Stromenger and i met, thus beginning our on again off again friendship... just kidding. not about the friendship, but about the Mike. his name is actually Michael.

so anyway, yeah...he and i (even though we haven't spent millions of hours together) have actually shared some memorable (to me) times along with some others at various times. for instance, when we were on a choir trip our friends Brian M., Kevin B(-H?), himself and i decided to break from the group on some of our off time. we went to a theatre to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...and this is where we all first saw a trailer for the Movie coming soon...Lord of the rings. yeah...i was pretty awestruck because i have always been kindof a fan of fantasy...i mean, hey...i played AD&D paper and pencil. i still would...anyway.
what's funny though is i don't really remember how we got together on this movie thing. i actually am pretty happy that he is doing it, and also, of course, in the future i will never have to look back and wonder what if.

sorry, i don't mean to go off topic. but actually i do, otherwise i wouldn't...ha. so anyway, Michael shot me over a literary explanation of how he plans on having his trailer. so based on that i sat down at my computer with software i'd never used before and pounded out a 40 sec. concept for the trailer. now i await anxiously for the feedback. obviously i want some positive to be validated, but i actually want more negative and places i could improve. i like what i made, and i don't even think i used any parallel 5th's. but Michael actually has his degree in music already, so obviously he will know more than i. in fact, out of the whole little clique of bloggers that i read (herr, mikey, michael, timmay, jaques, and a random smattering of others) i have the least amount of musical training. which is okay. once i decided to go back to school, i resolved that i would completely reverse the way i think about learning and studying music.
my first two years of university was spent in one or another music program. unfortunately for myself my freshman year, i did fremshman things (and my sophomore and junior years too.) so i hardly got anything for music out of my courses and professors. i changed schools for my sophomore year and changed majors from Mus. Ed. to a B.A. in Music. again, unfortunately for me i spent more time doing things other than studying, and ultimately quit the music learning tract because of a certain professors ideals, teaching methods, and because he made the learning more work than i wanted to put into it.

so here i am now. in Beaverton Oregon living for year before i can go to school. i need to gain residence in order to save over 53,000 dollars over four years. one thing i just remembered though which i am not looking forward to is auditioning to gain admittance. i never really liked that (but who does), however if i can find a vocal coach and clear the cobwebs from these pipes, maybe they'll let me in...and one can hope for consideration of scholarship.

have a nice day my superfriends.

13 days

7 comments:

Herr Vogler said...

Quick question;

Which is the better movie: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Hero?

I'll reserve my answer for later.

Herr Vogler said...

Oh, and there ain't never nothing wrong with parallel 5ths.

Reed said...

i don't know whether or not this is a difficult question...
the funny thing is, Jet Li was offered Chow Yun-Fat's part, but declined allowing Mr. Yun-Fat the part.
'Tiger' was the first asian archetype film i saw in this genre. i think hero has the better story-line, but the effects were not new. and what about House of Flying Daggers?
out of the three 'tiger' is the only one i own, so it is probably my favorite followed by Hero, then Daggers.

Michelle Yeoh is nice to the eyes.

Herr Vogler said...

My wife and I rented House of Flying Daggers on PPV and we decided that it wasn't really our favorite. I think that Hero is actually the better film of the three but, like you, I have a soft spot for Tiger because it was the first of that style film I saw, too, and the effects were fresh and the camerawork was stunning.

I heard that Crouching Tiger was laughed out of theatres in Asia because Chow Yun-Fat's Mandarin accent was horrific. I don't speak Mandarin or Cantonese, though, so I wouldn't know.

Michelle Yeoh. Definitely. So is Zhang Ziyi.

Reed said...

my wife doesn't let me talk about Zhang anymore. apparently she wore out her stay in my head.

Mikey the Pikey said...

Has everyone seen the Memoirs one-sheet yet...in a word (or two)...perfect beauty! I have to have it; it's not just a poster, it's a work of art!

Hero is prettier (both from a cinematography and art direction standpoint), but yeah, I still have a place for CT,HD.

Funny thing about the Memoirs shoot. Apparently, there was a cast representative from almost every country in East Asia. No one could talk to each other because none of them spoke the same language, seriously, they had to hire something like 10 interpreters or so...what a nightmare, especially for an American director!

Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi should have a hot (but tasteful) girl-on-girl love scene...I think my heart just stopped for a second...wait, there it goes! (yeah, I know, I'm pervertedly retarded - or retardedly perverted, you choose!)

Herr Vogler said...

DUDE!!!