I see the whale, and the waves keep coming. DAMN THIS PEG-LEG!

Monday, August 14, 2006

themes that don't let go.

once again a "top ten" list of movie themes that have the most impact on me.

10: Star Wars (John Williams): I don't care who you are or where you are from, this theme does something to you. i'd wager that a couple friends reading this who have only a passing interest in music will try to hum this right now.

9: Superman (John Williams): growing up this movie wasn't one of the ones that would be considered a classic for me...in fact i don't think i saw it until this last summer when i found out about Superman Returns. also, herr vogler's love of this movie helped to pique my interest. as a side note, i'll stick my neck out there and say i loved this movie. i think one of the more interesting que's was the choir on "Saving the World"...you know, where superman pushed the huge chunk of kryptonite out into space (like that won't circle around and create a little more havoc.)

8/7: Edward Scissorhands/Beetlejuice (Danny Elfman): Danny will always be my champion. he represents what i know i can do with enough hard work...of course i'll have to start a band called the return of oingo boingo, or something.

6: Sayuri's Theme (John Williams): from the film Memoirs of a Geisha. this is the main theme of the movie variated throughout. this is also a recent one for me. i don't know why but the this theme haunts me. it is so beautiful.

5: End Credits/Avner's Theme (John Williams): from Munich. another Williams work that is very haunting. when i listen to this i feel the agony and the hope, or loss of hope that i think he's trying to portray. wonderful.

4: Indiano Jones (John Williams): excitement, adventure? Indy craves not these things. these movies for me are classics. i am really looking forward to the next installment. i don't know if it will compare to "the Last Crusade", but i heard that Casper Van Dien might be the new indy (or indy-like character) and i don't mind that.

3: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Michael Kamen): I agree with Mikey the Pikey that this is a very rousing que. very memorable and heroic/noble sounding.
honorable mention by Michael Kamen - Theme from Band of Brothers. a great piece that moves my tear ducts just a little bit.

2: Back to the Future (Alan Silvestri): i can't help but wish i had a freakin delorean time machine...and admit it, neither can you. also, while i was writing this (and listening to the theme) in walks my wife, "we've got to hurry Marty." i wonder if this would be on her top ten?

1: Fellowship Theme (Howard Shore): what can i say other than it helped inspire me to go back into music.

these are in no particular order and a little John Williams heavy, but that's because my library is small.

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

great stuff ... I don't think I've smiled wider at the movies this summer than I did as I heard Williams' great Superman theme over those old-school credits at the beginning of "Superman Returns" .. the rest of the movie was mostly satisfying, but that was the coolest part for me!