I see the whale, and the waves keep coming. DAMN THIS PEG-LEG!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

rebirth

so the warrior-bard posted, and herr vogler had a follow up on two specific composers' role in music. and i would just like to throw my hat in the ring beside theirs.

i agree with the fact that one who's career it is to compose should be studied in all and as many different styles/philosophies/whatever of theory so as to have an authoritative grasp on their own subject matter. but my idea of musicality is much like the warrior-bard's.

the third experience i had with hands on training in composition helped me with my decision to quit music. it was pretty much 30% him, 30% me suffering with foreign language, 30% my lack of devotion to study, and 10% me being a pussy for not putting up with it. anyway...this professor had an undergraduate degree in mathematics and a doctor of arts. he basically forced myself and the other students to write in tone rows and concentrate on the "mathematical theory" of music while we wrote. i remember when he began to instruct us in method he would get a very sadistic glint in his eyes and become excited at the prospect of teaching these things that he loved so much. the other students and i tried to discuss the musicality of what he was teaching and challenge what was the ultimate lesson...but he turned a deaf ear.

so i became jaded and quit music. now however, i have no doubt that i will have to meet this particular school of thought head on and swallow it whole, thus inducing a musical peristalsis of all the crap that it is.

i had a good discussion about this very topic with my high school music mentor/teacher. he said that a few professors believe in what they profess. but the rest teach it with the evil glints in their eyes because it is what was forced on them. i just hope that if i am ever a professor i can teach it and then move on to the more aesthetically pleasing subject matter.

still waiting to hear from PSU about the results of my audtion.
and very excited because the organist at my church is going to perform a short piano piece that i am writing during holy week of easter. as soon as i get it recorded maybe you all can hear and judge my inexperience and my parallel octaves.

much love my friends.

4 comments:

Reed said...

but i didn't use any parallel fifths.

Reed said...

well...i haven't finished the piece yet...maybe i can still slip some in. would that make you feel better?

Mikey the Pikey said...

HAH...you said 'slip some in'...HAH HAH HAH!!!


sorry.

Reed said...

isn't that how composition is done? just a series of slippping things in?